Hello GMWRAG persons. It’s been a while. So, a quick Autumnal reboot and a wind of the clockwork mechanism and away we go. First of several posts coming your way is this new job vacancy from our friends in Oldham. Apologies for the short notice on this one but our aching bones are moving as fast as they can. The post should already be up on our Job Vacancies page by the time you’ve read this.
Corporate and Commercial Services
Finance, Customer and Business Support Services,
Welfare Rights Service
Welfare Rights Officer
Salary: £24,717- £29,033 p.a. Grade 6
Please see additional Terms and Conditions here.
We welcome applications from residents of Oldham as part of our campaign to Get Oldham Working. For more information please visit http://www.oldham.gov.uk/get_oldham_working
Hours: 36.40 per week
Based: Civic Centre, West Street, Oldham. OL1 1XJ
Closing date: 26th of September 2016
Shortlisting & Interview Date: TBC
Working within the council’s Welfare Rights Service, you will be a committed team player and a capable individual, dedicated to providing excellent standards of service and accurate information to increase the knowledge of Welfare Rights and uptake of Benefits by providing information, advice and advocacy on Welfare and other Rights to the residents of Oldham through local advice sessions and referrals from others.
- Provide support, negotiation, advocacy and specialist level representation in relation to benefits and welfare rights, including the preparation of comprehensive benefit appeals and representation at tribunals.
- Ensure clients’ incomes are maximised via the take up of appropriate DWP and Council benefits and take full advantage of local/national grant assistance.
- Provide face to face advice/deliver outreach sessions at locations across the borough, developing new benefit surgeries as required.
- Interpret and explain legislation/case law, to ensure clients understand the options and implications of letters and other official documents, making recommendations on best course of action.
- Develop resources and deliver information on benefits, welfare rights, welfare reform and associated issues to internal and external services and user groups.
To succeed in this role you will need as a minimum:
- The ability and experience to analyse and interpret information and present it effectively to various audiences to inform decision-making.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required to effectively engage, advise and support residents with confidence to challenge where appropriate, based upon evidence.
- Excellent organisational skills will be needed to agree, develop and manage duty cover and casework provision ensuring residents, Senior Officers and the Tribunal service have access to appropriate and timely information regarding casework, challenges and appeals.
Please visit www.yourcounciljobs.co.uk to apply for this vacancy.
Oldham Council is a leading Local Authority; shortlisted for the Local Government Chronicle Council of the Year 2014 and described as “an ambitious and effective Council” by the Local Government Association. We want people who share our values and can deliver for the Borough of Oldham. To find out more about who we are, what we do and why you should join us please visit our dedicated careers pages where you will also find useful guidance on how best to complete the application form: www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200270/working_at_the_councilFollow @GMWRAGtweets